7:15 AMAdd to Calendar
Track Shack Events received Gold Level Certification by the Council for Responsible Sport for the 2018 OUC Orlando Half Marathon and Lake Eola 5k. This official third-party verified certification was earned by successfully implementing 45 of the best practice standards offered in the Council’s certification program for social and environmental responsibility at sporting events.
Track Shack Events and OUC believe that sustainability matters at work, play and at home. Together, we can reduce the environmental footprint of the half marathon and 5k by focusing on the three key areas listed below.
• Using clean H2OUC from hydrants to serve runners and walkers along the route reduces the need for 1,600 plastic gallon jugs and 6,000 single use plastic bottles.
• Volunteer waivers are electronic – eliminating 200 pieces of paper
• Online registration (100%) – eliminating over 4,000 pieces of paper
• e-Race Packet – with final race info, course map and deals - eliminating 75,000 pieces of paper
• Capturing and sorting plastic bottles, cans, plastic film, paper and cardboard; collecting food items for composting.
• Collecting used running shoes at Track Shack for our partners Sneaker Seekers; an organization committed to ‘tying our community together one lace at a time’.
• O-Town Compost works with us to capture compostable food waste on race day and return that organic material to Florida soil by way of two partner farmers, local non-profits, and their subscribers.
• The largest part of our event's carbon footprint is travel to and from the race. For $5, you can offset the carbon footprint of your travel. By choosing to offset the carbon footprint of your travel, you are supporting locally-crafted, meaningful carbon offsets from We Are Neutral.
• T-shirts - Recycled polyester material, printed locally with sustainable phthalate-free inks.
• Portable toilets – Use toilet paper and paper towels made of 20% post-consumer recycled fibers; vendor uses non-toxic deodorizer. How it works.
• Our bib numbers rock - It’s primarily made from Calcium Carbonate (rocks). Less water was used, no chemical bleach was used, less C02 was emitted, and fewer BTUs of energy were expended. The OUC Orlando Half Marathon has partnered with CPCneutek to help divert waste from the landfill.
As part of our Sustainability Matters, read more and feel good about our partners’ innovative sustainability initiatives.
Use Facebook to Leave a Comment on OUC Orlando Half Marathon & Barney Butter Lake Eola 5k - We'd love to hear from you!