Safety Tips for Runners and Walkers
- Inform your friends or family of your exercise destination and expected time of arrival or return.
- Charge your cell phone and carry it with you.
- Carry a small light source in a pouch on you or in your car.
- Do not hide your key; carry it with you and secure your home or car while exercising.
- Stay alert to your surroundings.
- Walk or run facing traffic.
- Walk or run in the daylight.
- Walk or run with a known companion.
- Stay in a familiar area.
- Avoid heavily wooded, poor lighted or secluded areas, especially if alone.
- Don't walk or run with headphones. If you do, only use one ear bud.
- Wear bright & reflective colored clothing and shoes to improve your visibility.
- Try not to wear jewelry.
- Vary your route pattern. Don't walk or run the exact same route every day.
- Carry a whistle or hight decibel battery powered alarm device when your walk or run.
- If followed, go to the nearest residence, open business or group of people.
If you observe suspicious people or activities, call the Orange County Sheriff's Office immediately. 407-254-7433
Non-Emergency: 407-836-HELP (4357)